Monday, October 3, 2016

A Week of Service, Miracles, Christmas, and Conference

Hey Y'all,
   This week has been pretty amazing. By the way sorry about no voice recording this week. I never got around to doing it, but I will make sure that I make one for next week. Anyway, we started off the week with P-Day and spent it with our district at the church building in Pine Mountain. We did some jump-rope, some group games, and basically just talked and played on one of the keyboards for a while. The sisters were going over later that day to a member's home for dinner for her birthday and made her a cake and were going to make her dinner as well. That night we went to try to find a few individuals who had been contacted by missionaries previously but were not being currently taught and were on the potential investigators sheet. We ended up being unable to find one person's home and so we went tracting as we tried to find another individual. They didn't answer but at the last door of the apartment complex a man from Mexico opened the door and I got to share a 3 min version of the Restoration. He said we could come back and was happy that we came. He spoke Spanish and pretty good English and had even taught himself English after living in the U.S. for 16 years. The Lord truly provides if we are willing to go all the way for Him. On Tuesday, we had district meeting and I had the opportunity to give training on how to begin teaching. I probably should have prepared more but I felt like the Spirit was there and testifying of ways we could all improve on how we begin teaching (Even got to talk about how dad taught us to teach-pays to have a dad and grandpa as a teacher). Then I went on exchanges with Elder Young who is from Blackfoot, Idaho to Lanett. We had some great experiences there and met some really cool people and even got to teach some boys how to pray. They asked us if we could teach them! We also tried to find somebody that was less-active and said a prayer beforehand to be able to find him. After much looking the last home we tried ended up being his address and we had parked right next door. His wife and daughter pulled up right as we were leaving and we got to talk to them and they were very receptive and grateful we had stopped by. By the way, I also got to sign the Lanett Branch mission leader's Confederate flag which he had been having a whole bunch of missionaries in that area sign. He is an awesome guy and is really excited and gung-ho about missionary work. On Wednesday we went to feeding the valley and the 3-Life church hunger relief effort. It is awesome to be able to serve and the Lord provides so many opportunities to share your testimony as you do. In the MTC, we learned that often it is more effective to invite others to serve with you rather than asking if you can serve them. We then got to meet with Jaylin and had a great talk with him, By the way he is working again towards the 15th for baptism, so we are excited and praying for him. On Thursday, we went to feeding the valley again and had a great time and even got to hand out three Books of Mormon and Restoration pamphlets to some of the workers there. They were so excited and were even asking for them. We then got to go play Bingo and see some of our friends at an apartment complex. Then we visited with Mo, a recent convert and started teaching him about the priesthood. As  I started to teach him I realized how much more I should really study about that, so I am going to study more for him about the priesthood and about the ministering of angels. On Friday we spent all day moving out an elderly lady, from our branch, and her non-member family. It was a great experience to serve and they are great people. It reminded me of when dad, Andrew, and I helped move a lady in South Carolina, although it wasn't quite so hot as it was then. We pray that it left a lasting impression on them and will pave the way for them coming to receive the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. On Saturday, we went to an investigators home to do service and to watch conference. It was an incredible experience and they were so nice and greatly enjoyed conference. I was able to take so much more away from learning by the Spirit as we watched conference and focused on listening for things that would help and strengthen not only ourselves but also our investigators. It was cool to see the MTC choir. I had the privilege of singing in the choir while I was there and even got to see on tv. an elder who was in the room down the hall from us, and Brother Hansen's niece. By the way these investigators are an older couple from New Hampshire and he looks just like Santa Clause. He even plays him professionally here at Christmas-time in the town square. He also has a super sweet Bostonian accent and even worked for UPS just like dad did. On Sunday, we watched General Conference at the Brown's home and had an amazing experience. We learned much and I was specifically touched by Elder Nattress' talk and then got to share my testimony before I left. I said how much my mission really began to mean to me at that moment and said that when I eventually come home and then eventually return home to my Heavenly Father and my Savior that I wanted to be able to say that I knew my Savior, that I knew He knew me, and that I had had the great privilege of being able to serve Him and with Him in His great work. We then got to visit a great man from our branch and to hear about his testimony and experience of being baptized while he was in Germany for the army. Well this week has been full, but I want you all to know that I love you and appreciate all of your letters. I loved General Conference and am so happy that you all did as well. Keep applying what you learn. I know that family history is also a great tool in missionary work and blesses our lives. There are so many opportunities we have to share the gospel and strengthen members as we do family history work. I also know that the Lord loves all of us and that through His Atonement all will be made right as we exercise faith. This ends the message from the happy missionary.

--
Elder Daric Meyers

No comments:

Post a Comment